There have been many new MMORPGs over the last few years, and TG and I have tried a bunch of them. They’ve all had things we’ve liked and things we’ve disliked, but none have ever become the perfect game for us.
Our interest in them usually fizzles out after a few months. World of Warcraft is the game we’ve come back to most often out of nostalgia, but it’s also the one we’ve quit frustratedly the most frequently. We’re really excited about the prospect of Star Wars: The Old Republic becoming our go-to MMO. There’s tons of things about this game that we’re excited about, but here are our choices for the current top 10 bits of SWTOR awesome.
10. Story Like Woah. This game is going to have a crazy good story. No. That’s not true. This game is going to have many crazy good stories. Each class will have it’s own story quests (I’ve heard 200 hours worth!) in addition to the general side quests and what not. Everything will have voice acting, and the quests are supposed to be a bit less mindless than is typical of other MMOs. If you’re sent to kill 20 sand people, you’ll be doing it because you’re headed out that way for another reason. These quests won’t just be “kill x number of y enemy because we said so,” and thank kittens for that. I’m not usually a lore buff or even all that interested in lore really, but I’m hoping that the story winds up being so good that it pulls me in regardless.
09. Powerful Gizmos. This game is obviously going to have awesome stuff in it too: lightsabers and blasters, your own personal starship, and speeder bikes. Add to that the equipment and weapon choices, and we’ve got something to get excited about! From the videos that have been released so far, this game looks like it’s going to look awesome.
08. The Force and How to Swing It. Combat is also going to look pretty cool in The Old Republic. The lightsaber combat alone is going to have interesting and dynamic swing animations. No more of this repeatedly chopping-down-a-tree sword fighting that we’re used to in other games. While just over 60% of people think they’re going to be rocking lightsabers, we’re going to see the other 40% wielding blasters, rifles, and heavy cannons and commanding droid pets, all with their own unique animations. Players are going to be jumping, rocketing, and somersaulting into position. We’re going to have awesome force animations like knockbacks and aerial lifts. This is the beauty of switching to a game that doesn’t focus on the typical swords and sorcery.
07. Being Awesome for Being Early. We ordered the standard edition, so it’s not like we’re getting an authenticator or any of the other totally awesome stuff that comes with the other two pre-order editions, but we did receive a code that will grant us a color stone and early game access. We get to check out the game before release just for pre-ordering? Seriously? That, to me, feels like Bioware is extremely proud of their work and trust that we won’t cancel our pre-order after trying it out (which is actually what we did when Dungeon Siege III released their trial).
06. Geeks, Geeks, and More Geeks. Maybe I should have put “passionate playerbase” to be a little more politically correct, but this game is going to be full of Star Wars fans. I’m really hopeful that a community full of helpful and friendly people will flourish out of love for the game and franchise, and it won’t just be a rushfest. To put it simply, I hope people play because they want to play, not just because they feel obligated to get their daily whatevers done.
05. What to Be When We Grow Up. Insert some excited boops and beeps here, R2-D2 style. TG and I are just shy of overwhelmed by our class options. There are so many healing and tank variations throughout the different classes and pretty much twice as many damage options to choose from. We can’t wait to see the specialization trees beyond the basics that have been revealed in the forums and on the swtor.com website.
04. Republic versus Empire. Okay, so you know all that stuff I said in number 08 about combat? This all applies for PvP too. I cannot wait to see PvP in this game. Plus, I’m really looking forward to the designated PvP areas, since we’re going to be on a PvE server. PvP servers are been-there-done-that for us, and we’re just so over the fear of being ganked. Getting camped does nothing but bad for my anxiety.
03. Graphical Stylings Courtesy of Awesome. Okay, so maybe it would be more accurate to say that the graphics were courtesy of Bioware or some other cog in the development process, but I love the style they’ve chosen for The Old Republic. I am so not interested in a game with the realistic-style graphics and never have been. I fell in love with WoW because of its graphics and fluid combat, and this is one of the first big time MMOs to do a similar art style that we’ve actually been interested in.
02. A Few Friends to Call My Own. Companions. Who doesn’t want Blizz or some equally helpful buddy following you around or crafting for you? Companions are going to be awesome for small groups, since they’ll be able to fill in missing roles. TG and I will be able to have a full group with two damage companions without having to be social. It’s perfect for us. Plus, it sounds like there will be enough content to sustain us, even if we choose to stick to PvP and small group content. I always love a game that has options for players who don’t dig “end-game.”
01. It’s Fucking Star Wars. Do I really need to explain this one? No? Didn’t think so.
Side Note: I should point out that TG’s original contributions to this list were, “Green, Purple, Carrots, Pinwheels, and The Letter Four.” He’s so helpful sometimes.